Rowan Ward is the area that offers care to you and your baby in the postnatal period (this is the period following your baby’s birth). You will be cared for by a team of midwives, midwifery assistants and medical staff.
What you can expect
- You and your baby will see a midwife daily who will undertake a health check on both of you.
- You will be able to access parent education sessions to support you with caring for your baby, bathing demonstrations, safe sleeping, keeping your baby healthy. Women who have taken part in these find the sessions very enjoyable.
- You will be offered health education and advice on how to stay fit and well following your baby.
- Your baby will receive a health check called a NIPE (Newborn and Infant Physical Examination) check. This will be performed by a trained practitioner: either a midwife, a doctor or a neonatal nurse, prior to transfer home.
- You baby will have their hearing tested by trained screeners before going home.
- The midwife caring for you will discuss your discharge plan with you before going home. When you leave hospital your care will be transferred to the community midwife.
- Every cot has a security system attached and there is an electronic security system to enter and exit the ward.
- An amenity bed is available to NHS patients who wish to pay for the privacy of a single en-suite room whilst your treatment remains on the NHS. Amenity beds are available on both Rowan and Maple Ward and are subject to availability.
Who can visit
- Ward visiting times are for your nominated birth partner 8.00am until 11.00pm.
- Your partner can stay overnight if you feel it would be beneficial to offer you support. The facilities for your partner will include a chair by your bed for them to rest. Unfortunately there are no shower facilities for them to use and your partner will need to bring food and beverages for themselves.
- Only your own children can visit you on the ward.
- Visiting for your family and friends is 1.00pm until 8.00pm.
- The ward has protected meal time to enable hot meals to be served quickly. At this time the staff will not answer the door calls to admit anyone to the ward or to open the doors for exiting.
- Junior Sister Nicola Easby 01482 382799
- Midwives Office 01482 605381