The National Cancer Peer Review Programme aims to improve care for people with cancer and their families by:
- ensuring services are as safe as possible
- improving the quality and effectiveness of care
- improving the patient and carer experience
- undertaking independent, fair reviews of services
- providing development and learning for all involved
- encouraging the dissemination of good practice
Cancer teams are asked to provide evidence of the quality and outcomes of their service against national measures. These are then reviewed by their peers to monitor adherence and effectiveness.