The Virology Laboratory tests a wide range of patient specimens to detect the presence of viral antibodies and viral DNA/RNA. This includes HIV, hepatitis, influenza and chlamydia.
We work alongside the Infectious Diseases department and the Infection Prevention Control Team.
We have close links with the regional Health Protection Team for outbreak analysis.
The department aims to provide quality and timely diagnostic and advisory service to patients and service users within the Trust and local community.
Opening Hours and Location
The Virology Laboratory is open from 7.00am to 8.00pm Monday to Friday, 7.00am to 6.00pm at weekends, and 8.00am to 4.30pm on Bank Holidays. The laboratory is located at Hull Royal Infirmary in the Pathology building.
- General Enquiries: 01482 623229
- Virology Laboratory Manager: 01482 624330
- Clinical Advice: 01482 622680
- Clinical Lead: Dr Kirstine Eastick
- Chief Biomedical Scientist and Virology Manager: Gillian Helm
- Laboratory Admin Support: Emma Lowther
Some samples may be referred to other centres for further work or testing.