The Microbiology Laboratory tests a wide range of patient specimens to detect the presence of pathogenic bacteria, viruses, parasites and fungi. This includes investigations for tuberculosis, food poisoning, MRSA and clostridium difficile.
We work alongside the Infectious Diseases department and the Infection Prevention Control Team. We have close links with the regional Health Protection Team for outbreak analysis.
The department aims to provide quality and timely diagnostic and advisory service to patients and service users within the trust and local community.
Opening Hours and Location
The Microbiology Laboratory is open from 8.00am to 8.00pm, Monday to Friday, and 8.00am to 4.00pm weekends. There is on-call cover at all other times for emergency samples for meningitis only. The laboratory is located on the first floor of the Tower Block at Hull Royal Infirmary.
- Main Office: 01482 674991
- Laboratory Manager: 01482 675573
- Clinical Advice: 01482 674991
- Clinical Lead: Dr Debbie Wearmouth
- Laboratory Manager: Lisa Mead
- Chief Biomedical Scientist: Kay Anderson
- Chief Biomedical Scientist: Samantha Acland-Mattison
Some samples may be referred to other centres for further work or testing. You can view a list of all of our Microbiology Referrals.