- Reference Number: HEY1045/2019
- Departments: Physiotherapy
Translate the page
Use the headphones button (bottom left) and then select the globe to change the language of the page. Need some help choosing a language? Please refer to the Browsealoud Supported Voices and Languages resource.
This leaflet has been produced to give you general information about the Brain and CNS Therapy Team. Most of your questions should be answered by this leaflet. It is not intended to replace the discussion between you and the Brain and CNS Therapists but may act as a starting point for discussion. If after reading it you have any concerns or require further explanation, please contact the team on (01482) 461666.
Who are the Brain and CNS Therapy Team?
We are a community therapy team based at Castle Hill Hospital. We provide specialist Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy to patients with brain and central nervous system tumours. We can provide therapy in your own home or at the Queen’s Centre for Oncology and Haematology, Castle Hill Hospital. We are Macmillan Professionals but see patients with all grades of tumour, cancerous and non-cancerous.
How can the team help me?
Below are some examples of things that the team may be able to help you with:
- Advice on exercises to help with strength and balance.
- Walking aids and wheelchair provision.
- Assessment and management of your mobility.
- Advice on how to manage your day to day tasks if they become more difficult for you e.g. cooking and housework.
- Equipment to help you carry out your everyday tasks e.g. getting washed, dressed and meal preparation.
- Help with cognitive difficulties such as memory and concentration changes.
- Advice on how to manage tiredness and fatigue.
- Help to access leisure and social activities.
- Support with returning to work or accessing voluntary work.
- Signposting to other services e.g. carers support services.
Who do we see?
Our Macmillan Therapy Team sees patients with cancerous and non-cancerous tumours and our service is open to the following people:
- Adults over 18.
- People with a primary brain or central nervous system tumour.
- Those with a Hull or East Riding GP. If you live outside of this area, please feel free to contact us, as we may be able to arrange therapy with a team in your area.
- People who have a goal for therapy that we can work towards together.
Who we cannot see
We are unable to see those with metastatic disease, brain injuries or other neurological diseases. Metastatic tumours are ones that have spread from elsewhere in the body.
How do I contact the Brain and CNS Team?
You can contact the team by telephone on (01482) 461666. The team are available Monday to Friday 08.30 to 16.30 and also offers a limited Saturday service. If we are not in the office, please leave a message on the answer machine and we will contact you as soon as possible.
We will then agree with you a date to visit you at home to undertake an assessment so we can jointly agree how the team can best support you. The visit will last approximately 1 hour. If you prefer to meet at Castle Hill Hospital please let us know and we will try to accommodate this.
You can also ask other health professionals to refer you to our team.
You can also write to us:
Macmillan Brain and CNS Therapy Team, Queen’s Centre for Oncology and Haematology, Castle Hill Hospital, Castle Road, Cottingham, HU16 5JQ
- Macmillan: macmillan.org.uk/
- The Brain Tumour Charity: thebraintumourcharity.org/
- Braintrust: www.org.uk/
- PAUL: paulforbrainrecovery.co.uk/
Under the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018 we are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of any information we hold about you. For further information visit the following page: Confidential Information about You.
If you or your carer needs information about your health and wellbeing and about your care and treatment in a different format, such as large print, braille or audio, due to disability, impairment or sensory loss, please advise a member of staff and this can be arranged.