- Reference Number: HEY-889/2017
- Departments: Trustwide - Adult
Translate the page
Use the headphones button (bottom left) and then select the globe to change the language of the page. Need some help choosing a language? Please refer to the Browsealoud Supported Voices and Languages resource.
Welcome to our smoke-free hospitals
Our hospitals and grounds are smoke-free environments, so whatever the reason for your stay, this could be the ideal opportunity to stop smoking. Stopping smoking before admission or while in hospital is the best thing you can do to improve your health now and in the future.
- Reduce your risk of infection
- Promotes faster healing wounds and bone repair
- Reduce problems relating to anaesthesia
- Shortens your stay in hospital
It is the responsibility of your doctors and nurses to discuss with you during your stay in hospital the risks your continuing to smoke poses to your health and recovery. In terms of smoking, this means you should be:
- Informed of the risks of smoking and benefits of quitting
- Referred to the specialist stop smoking team from Smokefree Hull following admission to hospital
- Provided with stop smoking medicines to help you quit
If you are unable to quit for good, you will be referred to the stop smoking service and given nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) during your stay in hospital as you will not be permitted to smoke while in hospital. This will help you remain smoke-free.
The hospital stop smoking team are here to offer convenient and practical help while you are in hospital and following your discharge home. We can offer FREE NRT, such as patches, gum, and inhalators.
For help to stop smoking whilst you are in hospital please select one from the following 3 options detailed below:
Patients issued with NRT will be offered a referral to the appropriate Specialist Stop Smoking services
|If you live in Hull
Call (01482) 247111
Text QUIT to 61825
|If you live in the East Riding
Call 0800 9177752
Text QUIT to 60163