What does a Renal Social Worker do and how can they help me?

Patient Experience

  • Reference Number: HEY1421-2023
  • Departments:
  • Last Updated: 3 April 2023

How to get in touch with the Renal Social Worker

If you are having haemodialysis please speak to a member of staff on the haemodialysis unit where you are having your treatment. They can put you in touch with the Haemodialysis Specialist Renal Social Worker who covers your unit. You can get in touch on: mob: 07787 410961 or tel: 01482 608758.

All other renal patients, including their family or carers, can contact the Specialist Renal Social Worker Service, this would include people in the pre-dialysis/low clearance clinic, peritoneal dialysis patients, hospital admission, as well as pre or post-transplant.

This can be done by speaking to your Renal Consultant, Nurse or by ringing tel: 01482 300300 (and follow verbal prompts) or mob: 07917 805883 and leave a message for the Specialist Renal Social Worker.

People can be seen in out-patient clinics, on the ward, on the dialysis units and even at home by arrangement. 

Useful Contacts

KidneyCare UK

tel: 01420 54124

webside: www.Kidneycareuk.org


National Kidney Federation

Kidney patient’s helpline – tel: 0845 601 0209

website:  www.kidney.org


Carers UK

tel: 020 7490 8818

website:  www.carersuk.org


Age UK Advice Line

tel: 0800 169 6565

website:  www.ageuk.org.uk


Benefits advice including benefits advice for Carers

website:  www.gov.uk


UK National Kidney Federation

Lots of benefits advice and other useful information

website: www.kidney.org.uk


Citizens Advice Bureau

For free advice on many issues. Look in the phone book for your local branch.

website: www.nacab.org.uk

website: www.adviceguide.org.uk


Hull City Council Social Care Adults

tel: 01482 300300 (follow verbal prompts)


North Lincs Adult Social Care

tel: 01724 297000


North East Lincs (Grimsby) Adult Social Care

tel: 01472 256256


The Renal Social Worker can help with all sorts of things such as providing information, advice and support to all renal patients.

The service is available to:

  • Clinic outpatients
  • In patients
  • Dialysis patients, in a unit or at home
  • Patients awaiting transplantation
  • Patients who have already had a transplant
  • Patients who are not receiving dialysis
  • Families and carers of renal patients
  • Pre-dialysis patients

Having renal failure after all, does not just affect the individual; it impacts on the family as well.

The Specialist Renal Worker is a qualified social worker and works with other medical professionals on the renal team who support patients, families and carers.

How the Renal Social Worker can help you

Some of the issues that you may need help with could be:

  • Benefits – help to work out what you may be entitled to and assistance with completing forms.
  • Finances – offer advice about bills, debt management and the possibility of getting help from renal charities, for example, taking a holiday.
  • Housing – help to apply for housing, transfer to more suitable accommodation, or getting adaptations done.
  • Practical help at home – provide information about the help that is available from your local Social Services Department and how to access this help. The Renal Social Worker can also work with a renal patient to complete an Assessment of Need which will identify goals, outcomes and risks. This will lead to a comprehensive care package being completed so that services can be put in place.
  • Aids and Equipment – making referrals to Occupational Therapists.
  • Social care – offer advice on and make referrals for support at home.
  • Relatives and carers – give advice about getting practical help, relief or respite for carers. This could include services to enable the carer to have a short break, go to work or even undertake higher education.
  • Work issues – help to understand your rights as an employee.
  • Legal issues – offer advice and information about immigration issues, power of attorney and making wills.

If you have any other concerns that are not covered in the list above you can still contact the Specialist Renal Social Worker for advice and support.