Paediatrics is part of the Family and Women’s Health Group. The aim of the children’s service is to provide an excellent standard of nursing care to all children and their families within a caring and sensitive environment.
The unit promotes family centred care, as a child is a unique member of a family and dependant on their love and support. Through discussions, a partnership between the parents and health professionals can be established to provide individualised care to meet the needs of your child. With support and guidance there is nothing parents cannot do for their child.
The children’s service is continually seeking to develop and update practice and professional skills by evidence based practice.
The service will attempt to be suitably equipped and furnished and conform to recognised safety standards to meet the needs of children and their families.
Local children have written a children’s charter to the hospital staff.
To All Hospital Staff
Listen to me.
- Look at me when you talk to me.
- Tell me what you are doing and how long it will take.
- Believe me when I say I’m in pain. Remember you might do this every day but it is the biggest day of my life.
- Be honest and kind.
- Treat me normally.
- Don’t patronise me.
- Make me feel confident and safe and help me to stop worrying.
- Make time to talk to me and let me know what’s happening.
- Talk to me about normal things.
- Make me feel better.
If you ever have to come into hospital you will probably meet doctors, nurses, play specialists, teachers, clerical and non-clerical staff and students.