We are a team of audiologists that are technically and scientifically trained in hearing and balance problems. We identify and manage hearing impairment in children. We also see children with hyperacusis, tinnitus and balance problems.
Referrals are accepted from any health professional who reports concerns about a child’s hearing.
Early diagnosis of any problems are important to ensure the best access to speech and language.
Services available in Hull and East Riding of Yorkshire
- New-born hearing screening
- Diagnostic testing for babies referred from the New-born Hearing Screen
- Hearing assessments for children 0-18 years old
- Hearing aid fitting and management for children identified with a hearing impairment
- Referral to the Ear,Nose and Throat (ENT) surgeons or a regional specialist centre for cochlear implants and bone anchored hearing aids
The Paediatric Audiology Service works closely with professionals such as ENT surgeons, Paediatricians, Speech Therapists and Teachers of the Deaf to ensure the best outcomes are achieved for each child.
Hearing assessment clinics and hearing aid clinics are mainly held at:
- Bransholme Health Centre for children who live in the Hull area
- East Riding Community Hospital Beverley for children who live in the East Riding of Yorkshire
These clinics have soundproof test rooms and specialised equipment for testing children, such as Visual Response Audiometry (VRA) and Play Audiometry and Otoacoustic Emissions. We also routinely check middle ear function using Tympanometry.
Hull Royal Infirmary may sometimes be used for older children who are able to do standard hearing tests.
Paediatric Audiology Service
First Floor, Admin Block
Castle Hill Hospital
Call us on 01482 623072