Eating Better to Feel Better – Covering Letter Red

Patient Experience

  • Reference Number: HEY1188/2021
  • Departments: Nutrition Support
  • Last Updated: 30 March 2021

The following information has been provided by the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics (dietitians) to give you information that may help you to improve your nutritional (energy, protein, vitamin and mineral) intake whilst you are in hospital and when you are recovering from your illness at home.

Why am I receiving this information?

When you are admitted to hospital nursing staff carry out nutritional health screening.  This has identified that you may benefit from having some nutritional advice. If you have had a diagnosis of COVID 19, this can also lead to a reduced appetite and poor nutritional intake.

As a result of your nutritional health screening, you have been identified at high risk of malnutrition (undernutrition) whilst in hospital. You may be referred to the dietitian if needed.  The information leaflets provide practical nutritional advice for you to follow

I have been given some build up drinks, what are these?

The nutritional health screening that is completed by the nursing staff may tell us that you would benefit from some extra support with your nutrition. You will be offered some build up drinks during your hospital stay. Whichever drink you are offered will be supplied for up to four weeks or until a dietitian is able to see you on the ward.

If you are already on build up drinks, these are likely to be a different brand to those provided during in your stay.

What if I go home before I see the dietitian or my nutrition does not improve?

If required, the dietitian will try and see you whilst you are in hospital. You may be discharged home before you are able to be seen.  If this is the case, please weigh yourself weekly if able and continue to follow the advice in the information leaflets. Your doctor may also continue the build up drinks on prescription, please note these are likely to be a different brand. If you continue to lose weight without meaning to (unintentionally) or are concerned about your appetite and nutritional intake, your doctor, practice nurse or practice pharmacist can refer you to a community dietitian.

What if I have been told to change my diet or need modified texture or thickened fluids?

If are anxious about the advice or need to follow a special diet for medical reasons, please ask your doctor or practice nurse to refer you to a community dietitian.

If you have received guidance from a speech and language therapist about texture modification or thickened fluids then please continue to follow the advice that has been provided to you.

QR code to open leaflet