Eating Better to Feel Better – Covering Letter Amber

Patient Leaflets Team

  • Reference Number: HEY1187/2020
  • Departments: Nutrition Support

The following information has been provided by the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics to give you information that may help you to improve your nutritional (energy, protein, vitamin and mineral) intake whilst you are in hospital and when you are recovering from your illness at home.

Why am I receiving this information?

When you are admitted to hospital nursing staff carry out nutritional screening.  This has identified that you may benefit from having some nutritional advice. If you have had a diagnosis of COVID 19, this can also lead to a reduced appetite and poor nutritional intake.

As a result you have been referred to the dietitian whilst in hospital.  The information sheets provide practical nutritional advice for you to follow.

I have been given some build up drinks, what are these?

The nutritional screening that is completed by the nursing staff may tell us that you would benefit from some extra support with your nutrition and you will be offered some build up drinks. Whichever drink you are offered will be supplied for up to four weeks in hospital or until a Dietitian is able to see you on the ward.

What if I go home before I see the dietitian?

If required, the dietitian will try and see you whilst you are in hospital.  However, you may be discharged home before you are able to be seen.  If this is the case please weigh yourself weekly and continue to follow the advice in the information sheets. If you continue to lose weight unintentionally, or are concerned about your appetite and nutritional intake, your doctor, practice nurse or practice pharmacist can refer you to a community dietitian.

What if I have been told to change my diet or need modified texture or thickened fluids?

If are anxious about the advice or need to follow a special diet for medical reasons, please ask your doctor or practice urse to refer you to a community dietitian.

If you have received guidance from a speech and language therapist about texture modification or thickened fluids then please continue to follow the advice that has been provided to you.

QR code to open leaflet